My Minimal Curly Hair Routine


Something I get asked a lot about is for sure my hair. Me and my hair have definitely gone through a bit of a journey together and it has finally ended in mutual love. 

From as long as I can remember I was at the straighteners from probably about the age of 10 years old and before that I would beg and beg my mum to straighten it for me. I'm now 22. My hair was constantly straight, it didn't matter if I was sticking it in a bun, it had to be straight first. The thing is with straightening curly hair... yes it's damaging but most of all it takes bloody ages! 
My hair takes so long to straighten, my arms ache and I get all hot and bothered so really what is the point? As I said before I've straightened my hair for as long as I can remember. When I was in school there was a shed of light for about a year or two where I would have it curly, but I'd still pop the straightners on it so it was...less curly? 

Over the years I've had to have drastic cuts because of the endless amounts of damage my hair was enduring every darn day. Around a year ago I decided, enough was enough. Going travelling meant I didn't really want to be faffing about with my hair and then getting annoyed because it'd go wavy anyway. So I had an epiphany, why not try to embrace the hair I was given? 


And over the last year that is exactly what I've done! None of my friends have hair like me and it makes me feel different and I love it. It makes me feel fierce like a lion and free-spirited. I know it may sound crazy to some but my mane has really become part of my identity.

This all being said, if you have curly hair you'll understand it is a bit of an art form to master, so I thought I'd share some tips and products to help anyone on their journey to embracing their lion's mane! 

Here is a close up picture of my hair so you have an idea of texture etc. My hair is oddly soft and very ringlety. 


So tip number one is do not, I repeat do not brush your hair. This will make some crazy bush on the top of your head and it's not for the faint hearted! I will only ever brush my hair straight after washing it to get those pesky knots out! 

Tip two, use a wet brush - you'll thank me later. 

Tip three, after brushing it always scrunch it back up with a towel. This may sound crazy, "I just brushed it????" but I promise it lets the curls form again and helps the drying process. 

Tip four, want it to last more than one day? I wash my hair about twice a week but I will dampen it in the shower. This helps the curls spring back after a nights sleep. 

Tip five, more is less! I use very little products on my hair now (they're in the picture below!) It's taken a while to find what works with me but I just use any old shampoo and conditioner and use these two products and BAM! Hairspray is an added extra for me.  


I hope this post helps you with your mane! x

No comments:

Post a Comment