A Reflection on Teacher Training


Since September 2018 I have been completing my one year course of teacher training and corr has it been a rollercoaster! I am studying primary teaching through a SCITT with a PGCE for anyone curious. I thought I'd write a little blog post on the key parts of teacher training and what to expect for anyone considering teacher training. 
I have always loved working with children it is honestly the only type of job I could see myself in, I can't imagine not working with children. Teaching is one of those jobs that opens a lot of doors for you, which is the main reason for me choosing teaching specifically. I wish to travel in the future and lets face it where doesn't need teachers to educate? 


The past year has been actually nothing but crazy and with only eight weeks left I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel! When I first started teacher training I was placed in a small village school in a Year Six class...not ideal. My second placement was a challenging large school in a Year One class, I chose to stay at this school for the rest of my placement as I found it the more enjoyable of the two. 

Something teacher training will definitely help with is helping you find your spot with the education system whether that be Key Stage One, Two or EYFS. I went into this thinking you wouldn't get me out of KS2 but now I am looking for a KS1 position for after my training. So on to the things that matter, what does teacher training intail? 

Workload: 

Workload is something that I found tricky to start with I felt like if I wasn't at school I was prepping for it. Something I think to remember is teaching is a hard job as a teacher you're a teacher, a friend, a babysitter, a counselor, a social worker and all the rest! But it is all so worth it, you can't help but find yourself invested. 

The main thing with workload is honestly finding a work - life balance, without this you're soon going to find yourself short wiring. I've found it really helpful to try and allocate certain days and to try and keep work to a minimum. Also, do not lose the things you love - I gave up the gym for a bit as I just was not fitting it in but I've made sure I make time for it as that is something that really helps to clear my head. I'm not saying this will be the case all of the time but try to make it a majority. 

Money: 

Something that is very tricky is money, be prepared not to get paid. Yes, there are paid opportunities out there but the truth is they're very far and few between. I have received £3,000 to last me the whole year and I've had to lose luxuries, travelling and live of just the minimum. It's not been fun and I can not wait to get paid but if you can, it is really only one year and trust me it goes quick. 

Observations: 

The most scary part, you will be observed all of the time but that is teaching. I honestly don't mind it too much now...yes, it's stressful, yes, it can suck and yes, it can make you feel pretty low but it's all to help you learn. 

Okay so, these are just some bits and bobs to bare in mind for training. Each experience is different and no one can tell you what to do. If you are motivated and dedicated, GO FOR IT! It'll all be worth it when you have your own class of kids! 

No comments:

Post a Comment