Camp America: What to Expect During The Interview?


So you've decided to take part in Camp America, you've completed your application (which is very straight forward and is just discussing your skills so do not be put off by the initial application process!) and now you have been invited to the interview, hooray! But what do you need to expect from your interview and how can you prepare? Well I recently had my Camp America interview so I thought I'd share my experiences and help you if you are preparing for your interview! 


Okay so before you even attend your interview you probably have a worry, your outfit, "what should I wear?" and "Is it smart or is it formal?" Well I know this was something I was really worrying about and I struggled to find an exact answer anywhere. But remember this is a job interview essentially, would you attend a job interview in jeans and a hoodie, well I know I definitely wouldn't and this is how I decided what to wear. Although, I had found a few people individuals saying it was really casual I didn't want to risk it so I chose formal-ish and went for black skinny jeans, a grey blouse and some black boots. I think it is better to go formal than to go casual and be worried you're under dressed! 

Next up, it's actually time for your interview, make sure you turn up around 5 minutes early but not to early otherwise you could be interrupting another interview or something! Also you need to remember that where your interviews are held is often at the interviewers house so be polite, offer to take your shoes off and just be courteous. 

The interview itself is very relaxed and you will come out wondering why you were so nervous but you do still need to be prepared. To start off with your interviewer will discuss the skills you have put on your application and ask about your interests, it would be helpful to have a quick read over your application just so you can remember exactly what you put. EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES and EXAMPLES, always have good examples of where you have applied your skills to show that they are actually skills you do have.

Right, now it gets to your experience with children and how this is going to help you with camp, you are going to discuss any relevant experience whether this be working in a school or babysitting your niece or nephew, anything is useful experience as camp has such a wide range of scenarios that any experience will be relevant at some point. 

Additionally, you will be asked scenario questions - I expect that not all interviewers ask the exact same questions but along the same lines. My questions were all camp scenarios such as, what would you do if a child is upset? How would you deal with conflict between camp counsellors? Questions like this are what I considered the 'final decider' but remember they do not expect you to be perfect as you will have camp orientation and until then you will not know your camps rules and regulations, so as a result you just need to answer these questions the best you can and what you personally believe would be the correct avenue to success. 

Now the interview is over, you will find out within a couple of days if you were successful and then the process really begins! My personal interview took around 2 hours, but please take this blog post as my experience and a guide, not all interviews will be the same. Just remember the main purpose of this interview is to get a feel for you as a person and to ensure you are bubbly, friendly and suitable for a camp!

Finally, GOOD LUCK!  

No comments:

Post a Comment