THE PROS AND CONS TO STAYING AT HOME FOR UNIVERSITY


University is one of the most daunting moments of your entire life and often a time when you're not even really sure of yourself let alone what you want to study, where to go and who you want to be university. It is a big decision and probably one of the hardest decisions you have had to make in life so far. So here I am trying to be a fairy god mother and I am going to attempt to make it just a tiny bit easier for you. 
In year 13 I was 100% adamant that I was moving the hell away from Essex and my small little town and I could not have been more excited to move out, make new friends, get all the home equipment, get drunk 5 times a week if I wanted too cos screw it I am at uni and to not have a single adult around me to watch me stumble through the front door as I drunkenly run to the toilet. I had decided that there was no better option than to move away and was so excited.

I had an unconditional place at my dream university, being Brighton and was ready to go. This all being said sounds absolutely great and writing it myself I still feel a shed of jealousy to people that went away and done 'uni the way uni should be done' as I've been told but the fact that Brighton was my firm choice and results day was looming over me like a dark cloud, I knew I was getting closer and closer to not having the opportunity to change my firm University and was soon going to find myself moving away when I was not certain I wanted to. 

In the end I knew it was not the right decision at the time I blamed money as the only factor but deep down I knew I was not ready to move out and go live in the big scary world alone after all I was only just 18 and could barely cook a pizza. 

So you're probably thinking if you were so adamant that you was going to move away then why did you change your mind? There are zillions of reasons I changed my mind but here are just a few: 

  1. Money - It's always an aspect in life and University is no different. 
  2. Family - I'm a family person and the idea of not being close to my family was not an idea that I liked the thought of.
  3. Social Worries - I am not someone for partying every weekend or talking for hours and hours. Don't get me wrong I love a night in the town with my friends and meeting up but I also love spending time all by myself with no one around me so I can slip into "Jessalyn World"
  4. Myself - I was not ready myself I knew that I would not cope and at that point in my life I simply just was not ready. 


So for anyone in the same situation I was in just over a year ago, you really are not the only one worrying about what feels like this crazy life wrecking decision (trust me it isn't!) but here are some of the pros and cons of staying at home for University: 

PROS:  

  • FAMILY - For me this way the major benefit of staying at home, me, my parents and grandparents are all very close and the idea of leaving them did not make me feel a'okay. 
  • MONEY - You will have WAAAAAAAY more money than any of your friends studying away from home, even if they are working 20 hours in the student union bar and you are only working 8 in your local grocery store I can 99% assure you, you are way better off when it comes to money! 
  • FRIENDS - You will have friends who are staying back in your home town, whether this be because they are going to work full time, taking a gap year, still at college or because to hell thats what they wanna do! 
  • FRIENDS, AGAIN - Because your University is local you are likely to meet people who are also living with their parents and are local to the University to, just like you! The major bonus of this is when University breaks up for summer your new friends aren't a 5 hour drive, a plane ride or an arm and a leg away! 
  • HOME - Have you seen Harry Potter? Have you seen the cupboard the Dursley's make Harry sleep in? Have you seen University halls? Have you seen the rooms they make you sleep in? Yeah you know where I am going with this one... 
  • DEBT - Do not get me wrong I am not saying your £27,000+ debt is a pebble in the ocean but it is much better than the bolder of £40,000+ 



CONS: 

  • SOCIAL LIFE - There will be times where you are filled with jealously of all your friends snapchats who are with their friends 24/7 and can go out whenever they feel like, believe me. 
  • FAMILY - Okay I know that I put family in the pros but like everything there are cons too. You are bound to mature a lot at University and there will be times that you feel like there is nothing more you want to move out and spread your wings... but lets all remember that at least we aren't eating frozen food every night and have someone to wash our clothes *Thank you parents* 
  • TRAVEL - Travelling a 3 hour round trip to find out that your lecture is cancelled can be...frustrating to put it mildly. 
  • LIFE - Sometimes you just want to get away from certain things whether that be people, objects, places or memories and obviously with staying at home you can not physically escape these things. But just find your own escape. 


Okay so thats a wrap, I know this was a very word loaded post but I feel like there was no other way for it to be! Anyway if you made it this far well done and I hope this helped someone anyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment